Acton Library is a Grade II listed red-brick building on Acton High Street, at the junction of Winchester Street. It has three stories giving approximately 5,750 sq ft of space internally. As part of a set of historic civic buildings including Acton’s Town Hall, Swimming Pool and Magistrates Court, it has tremendous local significance.
The building was gifted to the people by the Victorian philanthropist John Passmore Edwards in 1905 for the wellbeing of the surrounding community. Passmore Edwards was internationally renowned as a champion of the working classes, and in total gave seventy buildings across the UK for community use.
The building became a public library with an excellent and well-used reference section, children’s facilities and meeting space. There were facilities for people to read newspapers and periodicals, as well as quiet private study.
Another of Edwards’s gifts was Shepherd’s Bush Library which has now been transformed into the magnificent Bush Theatre: an inspiration for our own bid.